Complete List of Databases (A-Z)
Below are “databases” that our library subscribes to. They contain loads of information not necessarily found through the Internet. You’ll need your library card to log into most of these databases.
Auto Repair Source
– covers more than 35,000 vehicles from 1945 to present. Content includes nearly 857,000 drawings and step-by-step photographs, approximately 99,000 technical service bulletins & recalls issued by the original equipment vehicle manufacturer, over 158,600 enhanced wiring diagrams for easy viewing and printing, specifications & maintenance schedules, Labor Time Guide & Estimator, AutoIQ. Video Tutorial [4:30 minutes]
– Free public access to the Statutes & Regulations of B.C.
BC Building Fire & Plumbing Codes
(in Library Use Only) – Includes the current BC Building Code (including Plumbing Services) and the BC Fire Code.
– Statistics on population, business, the economy, labour and society. From BCStats, the central statistical agency of the Province of British Columbia.
Access 2006 Census full (31 page) profiles or any item with a “key” icon beside it is available here. (Note: Remote access is permitted if your library can provide authentication.)
– A compilation of business plans developed by small businesses throughout North America. Access is made possible by the Small Business Accelerator at the Irving K. Barber Learning Centre at UBC with financial support from the Sutherland Foundation.
– A comprehensive information source about Canada and Canadians, for students, the general public and scholars. Includes articles written by experts, as well as web links and multimedia clips. No library card is required to access these resources on the Internet.
– An Internet subject guide to authoritative legal resources in BC and Canada. Developed by the Legal Services Society of BC and now maintained by the BC Courthouse Library Society. No library card is required to access this resource on the Internet.
Consumer Health Complete [EBSCO] – Health information for the general public, patients and health professionals. Includes mainstream medical information and holistic/alternative health information from popular and professional magazines, journals, reference books and reports. Also includes the Lexi-PAL Drug Guide, with up-to-date information on medications, natural products and vaccines available in the U.S.
Consumer Reports – Expert buying advice, recommendations, and ratings on thousands of consumer products each year using our state-of-the-art labs, auto test center, and survey research center.
EBSCOhost periodicals – Search the content of more than 10,000 popular and academic magazines, reference books, plus images, covering all subject areas, from current events and history to the arts and sciences. Many Canadian titles are included. Narrow results by date, subject, publication, etc. Video Tutorial [2:25 minutes]
Explora Primary Schools – A research interface for K-5. Simple search that quickly delivers relevant results including articles, essays, and primary source documents to help students feel successful in their research. Easy-to-browse categories organized by popular topic to give students research ideas. Topic overviews that provide students with a starting point for research.
Gale Courses – Gale Courses offers a wide range of highly interactive, instructor led courses that you can take entirely online. As a library card holder in good standing, you are entitled to these courses at no cost. Courses run for six weeks and new sessions begin every month.
GreenFile [EBSCO] – Provides information related to all aspects of human impact on the environment, from global warming to recycling to alternate fuel sources and more. Identifies or provides full-text access to scholarly, government and general-interest periodicals and reports.
Khan Academy – “Learn almost anything for free.” 3300 videos explain many subjects.
Library To Go – Download and listen to best selling and classic audio books 24/7 on your PC, laptop, PDA or MP3 player at home, in the office or anywhere in the world. It’s free, all you need is your library card.
MasterFile Premiere – General reference full-text articles from hundreds of books, encyclopedias, and magazines. Includes popular magazines such as Maclean’s, New Yorker.
Niche Academy – Accessible online training. A variety of topics including Google apps. Linkedin Learning, Pinterest, and more.
NoveList [EBSCO] – Looking for a good novel? Want to find book reviews? Desperate to find other authors that are similar to your favourite? Check out NoveList, a database of fiction books and authors, recommended reading lists, book discussion ideas and book reviews for all ages.
RBdigital: Has merged with Overdrive/Libby.
Points to the Past – Searchable primary source material: maps, photos, newspapers, manuscripts, pamphlets, portraits, sermons, poems, and more. For research, teaching and learning.
Small Engine Repair Reference Center – Clymer manuals containing thousands of maintenance and repair instructions for hundreds of small engine machines. Routine maintenance and more extensive repairs for motorcycles, ATVs, personal water craft, snowmobiles, lawn mowers, tractors, snow blowers, generators, and more are covered. Video Tutorial [3 minutes]
Teen Health & Wellness database – Real life – real answers.
TumbleBookLibrary – TumbleBooks are animated, talking picture books which teach kids the joy of reading in a format they’ll love. TumbleBooks are created by taking existing picture books, adding animation, sound, music and narration to produce an electronic picture book which you can read, or have read to you. TBL also includes National Geographic videos and games. With a school licence, teachers and students have access to the Common Core Portal, quizzes and teacher materials/lesson plans!
Vehicle Safety and Inspection Standards Online (In Library Use Only) Current vehicle safety and inspection standards and related BC legislation.
World Book Encyclopedia – All of these products are available for your use: